This question has by far been the most commonly asked question in the back end of 2019, and with good reason. There have been many concerning articles flying around Facebook, with some very disturbing headlines, for example; “vaping kills 39 people, while 2000 fight lung illnesses” or similar, the worst thing here was that the majority of people reading this headline, did just that!, THEY ONLY READ THE HEADLINE. A headline is designed to grab your attention so that you read that entire article out of curiosity, and let’s face it, that headline certainly does the job of grabbing your attention, whether you vape or not, BUT ALWAYS READ THE ARTICLE FULLY BEFORE SHARING. If for no other reason but to prevent you looking a complete wolly.
So… let me briefly touch on this topic as I believe this to be where the question has come from in most cases. Again, we have a more detailed blog focused on some of the death related events we have seen that may have been related to vaping, so feel free to knowledge up on these epidemics Popcorn lung and vitamin E acetate. Vitamin E acetate is a chemical that was found in the lung fluid samples taken from all of the 39 vapers killed in America and the 2000 vapers that were fighting the lung illness.
Below is a snippet from the INDEPENDENT:
“Public Health England (PHE) said most of the American cases of vaping related-illnesses were linked to people using “illicit vaping fluid” bought on the streets or containing cannabis products.”
The Facts Are…
The facts are, most vaping deaths are due to the newness of the industry, as in any new industry there would be teething problems and people not using the official channels, therefore cutting corners illegally in order to make a quick buck!
Most related illnesses and deaths have come from news in America and there is no solid link to Vaping truly being the cause, but for this article I prefer to use information and references from UK statistics… so Here are the UK facts and figures.
- In the past 5 years only 200 illnesses have been linked to vaping (74 separate ’yellow card’ filings by healthcare professionals and the public, But NOT proven to be related to Vaping). So let’s say for a moment that the 200 illnesses in UK over 5yrs were 100% proven to have been caused by vaping, is that really so scary compared to the 500,000 that die each year from smoking related illnesses?
- 20,000 are quitting smoking in the UK each year by switching to e-cigarettes.
- No vaping related deaths have been confirmed in the UK and officials continue to endorse e-cigarettes as a way to quit smoking.
- Recent UK reports show vaping is 95% less harmful than smoking.
- 100,000 people die from smoking related illnesses in the UK each year (America 480.000 each year)
- “Unlike the US, all e-cigarette products in the UK are tightly regulated for quality and safety by the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency and they operate the Yellow Card Scheme, encouraging vapers to report any bad experiences.
- E-cigarettes are found to be almost twice as effective as nicotine patches and other preventions when helping smokers quit
The bottom line is… If You Smoke, Quit smoking with the aid of Vaping, If You Don’t Smoke, Don’t Vape!
Vaping will obviously come with risks! But if you smoke and switch to vaping you are decreasing your risks by A WHOPPING 95%.
It has to be said that we are still in the early days of the whole vaping industry and there may be long term health risks to follow, but the evidence so far shows to be much, much, better than smoking. As for the short term risks, we believe if you are buying from a reputable retailer in the UK you stand the best chance over all (based on the above).